Perhaps a city is a living thing. Each city has its own personality, after all. Los Angeles is not Vienna. London is not Moscow. Chicago is not Paris. Each city is a collection of lives and buildings and it has its own personality. So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams. -Old Man from "The Sandman" by Neil Gaiman



Jesse


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Jesse at Rudy's (I couldn't resist using film grain on this photo!)

This is Jesse. I met him a couple of years ago, through a boyfriend (Kenny, as a reference point) I won't talk about right now. He swears he's been drinking at Rudy's since he was sixteen. He knows everyone I know, before I ever knew them. He's been to every place I have and about a million I haven't. He always reminds me that I'm just a baby to this town.

He describes himself as brash and abrasive, but really, Jesse just takes getting used to. His mouth is probably not any more foul than mine and when we get started...well, let's just say it's not for the faint of heart, elderly or minors. And the more booze there's involved the better (or rauchier, depending on your stance) it gets.

He loves guns and anything that goes really fast--cars, motocycles, etc. He works at a bike shop as a mechanic and he loves it. He's a punk and you can tell from his clothes, his goatee, the mischievous glint in his eye. He has great eyes, too, a green I recognize from my face, mixed with maybe a blue or amber all his own.

But just because Jesse can be good-natured doesn't mean you should push your luck with him. It would be stupid, too, because Jesse's a loyal friend and that's how I'd rather keep it. I've seen him pissed and it's not something I want to see again. If he likes you, he likes you. If he doesn't...stop going places he goes.

Jess is also smart as hell. He's a reader and a thinker, without a GED (which totally cracks me up, since he's smarter and a better person than most of the Yalies I went to school with). He loves talking politics, especially if he has a beer in his hand. He's a fast talker, whipping out the sarcasm so fast sometimes you have to rewind it in your head to finally get it. He's funny and doesn't take himself too seriously, which makes for some great jokes on him. If there was an Anarchist Punk High School (maybe in Amsterdam?), Jesse would be the Big Man on Campus. And win all the skeet shooting awards.

If Jesse were a tarot card, I'd bet 1) it'd be a scary deck, 2) he'd jump out of the card to kiss or kill you, and 3) he'd be the Devil. But the Devil doesn't mean what you think, just like Jesse isn't who or what you think he is from first glance. The Devil does symbolize lust, reckless abandon, and all your strangest desires, but it reminds you that there must be a balance: you can't be so inhibited that you aren't true to yourself and you can't be so driven by your desires that they control you, like an addiction. That's what Jesse reminds me of: a man driven by his desires, but in control of himself, with lines drawn that he won't cross, out of respect, love and loyalty.

Right when Kenny was breaking up with me, he told me to date Jesse. I felt like he was pawning me off, trying to make himself feel better. Jesse was tied up with some woman or other at the time, as well, so I didn't think much of it. But a few months ago, Jesse and I had this whole conversation about it, and it turns out, he would've dropped whoever it was and taken a shot. I wish I had known that then, because I wouldn't have minded trying it out either. But our time passed.

Now, I'm engaged and I don't regret that one iota, but I do have to say, Jesse's a good man. He takes care of his women. He likes to do it, almost craves it. I have always felt safe with him around and he has a way of making me feel good. I imagine we would have had a great time and I wouldn't doubt love would have come into the equation. We're both romantics; it takes one to know one. Plus, he's cute in that scruffy kind of way that I like.

He's just a good man looking for a good woman and a good time. Whenever he's drowning a sorrow in a pint, I just wish I could do something to make him happy. He deserves it: he works hard, treasures his friends, has a great heart. And when he has his sad eyes on, you just want to hug him, tell him it'll be okay, sooner or later a woman with some sense will come along and see how wonderful he is.

To learn more about Jesse, go to his Myspace profile:
DeadWrong


0 Responses to “Jesse”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3